Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
TAMSCC Autocross Videos - Two FCM cars compared
We had one great Autocross event last Sunday hosted by the TAMSCC up in College Station.
The course was allot of fun and flowed really well.
The wife and I were accompanied by our friend Scott and his FCM 2040 equipped MSM on 215/40/17 Dunlop Star specs.

Scott just happened to pack his Go-Pro 3 camera and got some good videos of all three of us driving.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=fCnSnTqHysQ

The first minute of video is my lovely Heather on her 2nd run around the track in my Mazdaspeed Miata on FCM 3040s and 225/45/15 Hankook RS3s wrapped around 15X9 wheels (see my build thread on this forum for further details.)

Scott's runs start after that and last to about 5:50.

After the event they let us do fun runs for a buck each, so Scott grabbed the camera and went for a ride with me driving my car (starts at the 5:56 mark.)

After that run, we grabbed Scott's car so I could demonstrate how to get his car to rotate around the turns (he was complaining about the car having a bit too much under-steer.)

The only downside about our two runs is that there were too many downed-cones on the two runs in the video, but they later reset the course and we got a more accurate comparison between the two cars.
I ended up with a .8 second difference between Scott's car and mine.

Here are the official results for the event (PDF files):

Summary of classes and times
PAX Times
Best RAW Times
Looks like a beautiful day and fun course! Makes me want to get out there with ya'll Wink

Love Heather's enthusiasm! Always gotta cheer after a run, celebrate the journey AND destination. Big Grin

Did you notice any understeer on Scott's car that needs to be dialed out? We have a shock to de-Schrader soon when he sends the fronts in. If there's no rear bar we know you can get push.
(11-12-2013, 08:36 PM)Shaikh Wrote: Looks like a beautiful day and fun course! Makes me want to get out there with ya'll Wink

Love Heather's enthusiasm! Always gotta cheer after a run, celebrate the journey AND destination. Big Grin

Did you notice any understeer on Scott's car that needs to be dialed out? We have a shock to de-Schrader soon when he sends the fronts in. If there's no rear bar we know you can get push.

Yes, Heather had an absolute blast! I was extremely happy to see her so happy... I think that is a country song somewhere... Dodgy

No under-steer bias outside of the alignment that Clint at GHM chose for Scott.
For him and his driving style, Clint did great for a mostly street driven car.
On our test route I was able to make effortless progress at higher than normal speeds with no nasty surprises or any over or under steer issues.
The setup is very safe and well mannered, you aren't really tempted to push it to the limit on the street and the car keeps in check very nicely.

For me, I thought it was plenty quick and fairly neutral once pushed flat-out on the autocross track.

The slightly softer spring rates on his car were masked a bit by the longer and stiffer bumpstops on turn-in and in the slaloms, the overall balance was nuetral to under-steer biased (which is good.)

By comparison, my car loves to be sideways, it just corners it's best riding out the boost with a little opposite lock (did you notice it drifting out of and into the Chicago Box-like element?)
you literally just put your right foot down (much earlier then say, a V8 car) and ride out the boost.
What I wish you could see in the video is the difference in counter-steer between the two cars. Scott's requires much larger inputs while mine requires only the slightest flick (and sometimes no flick at all) to keep it in line.
We can thank the tires for that difference I bet. Cool