Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
2012 F20 118i Project
I just recently had my consultation with Shaikh on improving my 2012 BMW F20 118i~  Heart

Although I have not yet gone for the revalved FCM Elite dampers (soon), the initial tuning based on Shaikh's advices already made night-and-day difference for the overall ride quality and handling!

According to some tuners/auto shops here in Taiwan, BMW had shifted from a stiffer, more sporty OE setup to a more comfortable setup since the F-platform. While I do not know if that is true, the F20 with stock suspensions did have a lot of rolling (quite scary)  in cornering, and the whole car started to have quite a bit of swaying on freeway past 110km/h.

Per Shaikh's advices, I have so far done some initial tuning on stabilizer bars and bump stops, and straight away I am able to feel what "flat ride" is capable of offering (though i didn't change the springs, so in theory I did have "flat ride" before, but the excessive swaying and shaking around was hindering my senses), with decent ride quality and quite neutral cornering with not much roll~  Smile

With the pretty bad road conditions here (see below pictures), I know that I will need to get the FCM Elite dampers to truly have "ride harmony"!
[Image: 600_1640958_1.jpg]
[Image: 0424%E5%B8%82%E6%94%BF%E7%B5%84_%E9%A1%8...%BC%89.JPG]

A few years ago, I was a completely newbie about cars, but I had this weird (according to friends) high sensitivity on car motion and ride quality. While all my friends were happy with certain suspension setups, I was never happy (a different car back then) and I ended up changing suspensions, trying different springs, different dampers, and later different bump stops (when I only half-understood what Shaikh was conveying about bump stops) for more than 30 times! I was even testing wrapping a 2-kg training thingy around different leg of the frame for my modded chair, and I could tell each position affected the motion and ride quality... Long story, short, lot of time and money wasted... 

While I never got that car to feel right since I couldn't get FCM Elite dampers due to Bilstein not offering replacement dampers, I did find out how big of a difference changing bump stops made (also on disabling stabilizer bar to improve grip), and immediately then, I knew that Shaikh was one of the few people, who really knew about suspension! (And I know for sure right now that 99.9% of people in Taiwan know nothing about how suspensions should work and what bump stops could do)

After this few years watching and re-watching Shaikh's videos, and reading and re-reading his blogs, video comment replies and forum posts, I have recently finally started to really understand some of his concepts, and once I've understood, the logic simply just makes absolute sense!

To me, Shaikh is like Galileo, telling people that the Earth is round, but the idea is difficult for people to understand because of all the BS marketing and sales pitches from other suspensions...

P.S. My background is brand strategy, marketing strategy and product planning (3C industry), so it was a bit difficult for me to fully understand his videos.

So~ I am now planning to get the FCM Elite Stage 2 and am already totally ecstatic about it~  Big Grin
Hi Kahwen, thanks for joining and welcome! I appreciate you sharing your very intriguing experiences so far, and your kind words about me and FCM. I can appreciate your extreme sensitivity - it's both a gift and a curse! But that is the essential ingredient to new discoveries - our curiosity and ability to pick up on small differences. Something steps out to catch our attention and then .. we're hooked! I would NEVER want you to think of any time, money, or energy spent on pursuing Truth to be wasted! If you didn't learn anything from the experience then you could call it that, but otherwise it was a hard-won experience and wisdom that you now know and can share with others. If everyone had to reinvent the wheel we'd still be living in grass huts, so we need the continual movement of innovation and curiosity that each of us can bring out and inspire in each other.

It's indeed amazing how much most cars use the front bump stops.

I've got some builds to finish up (which is always the case) and will reply to your consult form likely by Monday. Please also let other BMW owners know about your project page here and encourage them to join this forum. I'd like to keep the signal high and noise low! I also have in mind creating a version of my Ride Harmonizer Spreadsheet for the F20 and other models as I did for the E46 M3 community.

http://www.m3forum.net/m3forum/showthread.php?t=601913

http://www.fatcatmotorsports.com/FCM_Rid...Online.htm

I'll look forward to getting into your project as / when you're ready. And I really do appreciate your willingness to help me market what I do and make it less obtuse for the average driver, because that's the new and broader audience I want and need to reach!

Cheers,
Shaikh
(10-19-2018, 02:23 PM)Shaikh Jalal Wrote: I've got some builds to finish up (which is always the case) and will reply to your consult form likely by Monday. Please also let other BMW owners know about your project page here and encourage them to join this forum. I'd like to keep the signal high and noise low! I also have in mind creating a version of my Ride Harmonizer Spreadsheet for the F20 and other models as I did for the E46 M3 community.

http://www.m3forum.net/m3forum/showthread.php?t=601913

http://www.fatcatmotorsports.com/FCM_Rid...Online.htm

I'll look forward to getting into your project as / when you're ready. And I really do appreciate your willingness to help me market what I do and make it less obtuse for the average driver, because that's the new and broader audience I want and need to reach!

Cheers,
Shaikh

Hi Shaikh~

Absolutely ready and can't wait to hear from you  Big Grin

I've also redone the bounce test a few more times, and the current bounce frequency should be about (if I've done it correctly):
Front: 1.7~1.8Hz
Rear: ~2Hz

Cheers,
Kahwen
Shaikh received my Bilstein B6 today and already he did some initial damping dyno test and here are the dyno graphs for the B6 for F20 118i:

Front:
[Image: attachment.php?attachmentid=1932661&d=1541660856]

Rear:
[Image: attachment.php?attachmentid=1932662&d=1541660856]

Shaikh also measured the gas pressure to be:
Front: 48lbs
Rear: 54lbs